DIGNITY FOR ALL STUDENTS ACT
Lancaster Central School District
1. It is hereby declared to be the policy of the state to afford all students in public schools an environment free of discrimination and harassment." N.Y. Education Law §10.
2. "Harassment" and "Bullying" means "creating a hostile environment by conduct or by threats, intimidation or abuse, including cyberbullying, that:
a. Has or would have the effect of unreasonably and substantially interfering with a student's educational performance, opportunities or benefits, or mental, emotional or physical well-being; or
b. Reasonably causes or would reasonably be expected to cause a student to fear for his or her physical safety; or
c. Reasonably causes or would reasonably be expected to cause physical injury or emotional harm to a student; or
d. Occurs off school property and creates or would foreseeably create a risk of substantial disruption within the school environment, where it is foreseeable that the conduct, threats, intimidation or abuse might reach school property.
Acts of harassment and bullying shall include, but not be limited to, those acts based on a person's actual or perceived race, color, weight, national origin, ethnic group, religion, religious practice, disability, sexual orientation, gender or sex. For the purposes of this definition the term "threats, intimidation or abuse" shall include verbal and non-verbal actions." N.Y. Education Law § 11(7).
3. "Cyberbullying" means "harassment or bulling as defined above, including paragraphs (a), (b), (c), and (d), where such harassment or bullying occurs through any form of electronic communication." N.Y. Education Law §11(8).
4. Reporting Requirements: School personnel who witness or receive a report of harassment, bullying or discrimination must promptly orally notify the Principal, Superintendent or designee within one school day, and must file a written report within two school days.
5. Board Policies:
- 7552 - Bullying: Peer Abuse in the Schools
- 7550 - Dignity for All Students Act
6. The District's Dignity Act Coordinators:
- High School - Kara Campbell
- Middle School - Ryan Arnold
- William Street - Danielle Pitirri
- J.A. Sciole - Julie St. John
- Hillview - Amy Wojcik
- Court Street - Michelle Pachucinski
- Como Park - Karl Sheffield