The Academies at Lancaster High School
What is a Career Academy?
Career academies are designed to prepare students for both college and careers by providing them with the skills and experience necessary to attain entry level jobs. They are "schools within schools" in which students take both career-themed and academic classes together. These courses are linked to academic and industry standards and encourage high achievement*.
Career academies at LHS:
- Small learning communities to foster positive relationships
- College-prep sequential curriculum with a career theme and core subject integration
- Project-based-learning which focuses on real-world problem solving
- Work-based-learning sequence which focuses on discovery, preparation and practice of career skills
- Advisory boards to establish partnerships with employers, higher education institutions, and the community
*Source: NCAC: National Standards of Practice for Career Academies (2004, 2013)
Career themes at LHS:
- Engineering (PLTW)
- Finance and Business (AOF)
- Health Care (HCA)
- Hospitality and Tourism (AOHT)
- Leadership (LA)
- Trades (TA)
- Performing Arts (AVPA)
- Visual Arts (AVPA)
Academy Application:Complete the online Academy ApplicationApplications for the class of 2021 are DUE by Feb 9, 2018 at 2:15pm.Open to all freshmen each January with acceptance during the second semester. Courses generally begin in the sophomore year as student’s journey in groups (cohorts) of approximately 25 students.Assistant Principal Terry Adamec oversees the academies, works with the academy directors and ensures each academy maintains common vision and has aligned their admission criteria and selection processes.
About our Academies
The mission of the Lancaster Academy of the Visual and Performing Arts is to provide our students with a solid foundation in the arts through a sequence of academic courses, career exploration opportunities and inspiring interactions with fellow students, faculty and professional artists.
The LHS HCA is for students interested in exploring health-related careers. Visit health care facilities, host health professionals, and discuss current trends in care. It is the perfect opportunity to get a head start in the competitive and rewarding health care field.